YEAR ONE INTERDISCIPLINARY RESEARCH
Chosen Area of Focus:
An investigation of SST students’ attitude towards water conservation in school.
Framing our research topic
Our chosen area of focus is “SST students’ attitude towards water conservation”. We have chosen this topic as water is needed in everyday life, for drinking, showering, cooking etc. In 2003, 165 litres of water was used per day, per person, now it is 152 litres per day, per person. Even though Singapore cleans waste water, water in Singapore isn’t unlimited, however, a lot of people still leave the tap on while brushing their teeth or bathe for over 10 minutes even though they have no need to bathe for that long. Every minute in a shower is 9 litres of water used but some people just shower for over 10 minutes which is 90 litres of water used just for a shower.Surveys could be carried out to ask the SST student population on why simple things like switching off the tap while brushing their teeth or switching off the tap while cleaning the plates and on the water when ready to rinse the plates is so hard to do.
Reasons for choice of topic
- Water is important in our daily lives, we chose it as it is important in the survival and life of mankind.
- Water is being wasted drastically despite it being a limited resource.
- We can better understand the importance of water and learn to use it wisely.
- By choosing, and researching on this topic, we can also spread awareness on how water is being used in Singapore, particularly in the SST community.
- As we use water in our daily lives, it would be interesting and meaningful to go in-depth about it.
Feasibility of the research
- Getting results would be easier but we can conduct surveys among SST students as well as read up from researches others have done, before us.By doing this, we would be able to get data about SST student's attitude towards water conservation in SST.
- Working on this topic might be a little challenging as we would have to ask others about how they conserve water and what are their thoughts about water conservation.
- We can approach the board in SST which deals with the water bills to ask for statistics regarding water as conducting research ourselves may be inaccurate.
Manageability of the research
- With teamwork and everyone’s contribution, this topic will be easy to do
- Coming up with survey questions.
- Carrying out the surveys through google forms.
- We may also go to different tables or approach SST students who are free to conduct interviews
- Compiling the surveys and getting the main reasons for water wastage.
- Brainstorming on the different solutions to the main reasons of water wastage and finding out the attitude SST students have towards water conservation in SST.
- Brainstorming on the different solutions to the main reasons of water wastage
- Accessibility of the information required
- From the surveys we will be doing, we would be able to infer fro their answers what is their attitude towards water conservation in scool.
- How much water is used daily by a few SST students in school.
- Using Google forms carry out our survey to find the information we are looking for.
- How much water a person uses on a daily basis
- Read up from the internet and compare results
The methods we used to get the results we were looking for:
We used google forms and surveys to conduct our research.
Surveys sent via email would be convenient and easier for the other students to respond to.They can also reply to the form whenever they are free.If we used the interview research method, it would take too long to get the results we are looking for and there is a much higher chance that our interviewees would not understand what we are asking them if we were to do it through interviews.
Who are our target respondents,how many responds are we looking for and why:
Our target respondents are SST students. We are looking for 20 responses as we are aiming for at least 10% of the secondary one population. It would take too long to collect the data and collate them, if we were to get the data from over ten percent of the number or secondary 1 students. Secondary 1 students because they are just introduced into this new environment and would be giving an honest opinion.
1) Have you seen people in SST wasting water? (MCQ)
2) If yes, please elaborate how, and do you do anything about it? (Open Ended)
3) Do you conserve water? (MCQ)
4) If yes, please explain how. If no, why not? (Open Ended)
5)Are there any water conservation efforts in SST? (MCQ)
6) If yes, do you take part in them? (MCQ)
7) If yes, which of them do you take part in? (Open Ended)
8) How do you use water in school? (Open Ended)
9) Do you feel that wasting water is a rising problem in the current society? (MCQ)
10) If yes, why? If no, why not? (Open Ended)
Discussion of Findings:
Based on the results, shown in the table below, 60% of the respondents have seen their peers and schoolmates wasting water in SST. They said that they wouldn’t do anything if they saw their friends waste water as it won’t affect them, directly though. 10% of the respondents have admitted that they do not conserve water in SST. Some ways stated by the respondents, to conserve water are not leaving the tap on while brushing their teeth or when doing the dishes, and also using water that they used to wash vegetable and fruits to water their plants. They admitted that they conserve water at their homes, better than in SST.
10% of the respondents say that there are water conservation efforts in SST, while on the contrary, 90% of them say that there are no efforts to conserve water in SST. All of the respondents admitted that even if there are efforts put in to conserve water, none of them take part,as they are too busy with other things like projects and homework, and also as they are not paying for the water bills so they take it for granted.
All of them think that wasting water is causing more problems in our current society.Which showed that water was harder to get and one cause would be water wastage.Another example is that since water is so expensive due to the scarcity of it, countries like Africa cannot afford it causing Africans to die of dehydration.
They think that we should not take water for granted as it is very precious. From all of this data collation, we have found out that SST students have a really good attitude towards saving water outside of SST but their attitude towards water conservation is not very good in SST itself.
From this, we can find out that the attitude towards saving water, from the 20 respondents,is not very good in SST.
|Respondents||If yes, please elaborate how, and do you do anything about it? (Q2)||If yes, please explain how.If no, why not?(Q4)||If yes, which of them do you take part in? (Q7)||How do you use water in school? (Q8)||If yes, why? If no , why not? (Q10)|
|1||They play with the water cooler.||Turn the tap off when not using, like brushing teeth.||drink, wash hands||Water is not an unlimited source, it runs out everyday, and with the problem of global warming, water is decreasing at an alarming rate. if we do nothing to prevent it, the world would soon become droughts and everyone will perish from thirst and dehydration.|
|2||When they press the tap, sometimes the tap is spoilt thus it keeps running and students don't take notice||I do not leave the tap on while washing the dishes||Wash my hands||People take it for granted the water they have and waste it just like that.|
|3||Someone left the water cooler fountain running, so I put things right and offed it.||I only reuse water is use (e.g. use water to wash vegetable to wash plants||drink||yes as later no water|
|4||They never check if the tap is really fully turned off. I help to turn it off.||Because water important||I drink a lot of water during cca and s&w||Many less developed countries have not enough water|
|5||They refill their water bottle because the water isn't cold and they pour away the water in their bottle if its still not cold.||I conserve water at home. I use rice water to water the plant.||I use it to wash my hands, wash things and drinking||It was because water is precious|
|6||ALways use 1/2 flush||Drinking||Fresh water is precious, however people are using it for stupid purposes like letting the water from the tap run.|
|7||Using only the water that I need.||To wash hands like employees||Yes, water is crucial and valid resource and it is sad people tai it for granted.|
|8||I always make sure I use minimal water when doing anything to do with water.||Drinking and washing hands.||More and more people are taking the supply of water for granted.|
|9||by not wasting water||Drinking and in the toilet.||People do not understand the importance of water and take it for granted, they do not know that there is water poverty around the world, they do not think that it will effect them.|
Advertisements in the forms of wake up calls or surprise pictures can convey the message to save water, activities will work too.
|10||Cause water is very important!!!||For drinking and washing of hands||As fresh water is precious, but we are wasting it everyday.|
|11||Sometimes I'm not conscious of water conservation.||Drinking, washing hands||I have no idea. I guess they are either too rich or spoiled.|
|12||Every day, I use a mug to collect water to brush my teeth and not let it continuously run.||Drinking? Flushing toilet, wash face and mouth.||pure water is running out and is becoming more scarce.|
|13||I wash my hands after going to the toliet. I use the water cooler to refill my water bottle||Many people are unaware of the world's decreasing supply of water and continue to waste them, taking their supply of water for granted.|
We can conclude that most SST students do not have a very good attitude towards water conservation in school.SST should begin 1 or 2 different water conservation efforts so as to bring awareness of water scarcity and that we should conserve as much water as we can.One of the conservation efforts could be students going around school and prevent any students they see from wasting water. We have also learnt that water can be conserved even through little acts like not leaving the tap on when it is not needed. Everyone should play their part in conserving water, whether their paying for it or not.
Information used from PUB website was used in the “Framing our Research Topic” component in the research justification part.