YEAR ONE INTERDISCIPLINARY RESEARCH STUDIES
Research Topic: Water
Chosen Area of Focus: An investigation of SST students' attitude towards water conservation in school.
Framing our research topic
Our chosen area of focus is “SST students’ attitude towards water conservation”. We have chosen this topic as water is needed in everyday life, for drinking, showering, cooking etc. In 2003, 165 litres of water was used per day, per person, now it is 152 litres per day, per person. Even though Singapore cleans waste water, water in Singapore isn’t unlimited, however, a lot of people still leave the tap on while brushing their teeth or bathe for over 10 minutes even though they have no need to bathe for that long. Every minute in a shower is 9 litres of water used but some people just shower for over 10 minutes which is 90 litres of water used just for a shower.Surveys could be carried out to ask the public on why simple things like switching off the tap while brushing their teeth or switching off the tap while cleaning the plates and on the water when ready to rinse the plates.
Reasons for choice of topic
Feasibility of the research
Manageability of the research
Accessibility of the information required
- What are the water conservation efforts in school?
- Have you seen people conserving water in SST, if yes, please elaborate.
- Have you seen people in SST wasting water? Please elaborate.
- How do you use water in school?
- What would you do if you saw your friend wasting water?
- How does SST students’ attitude affect water conservation in school?
- Do you put in effort to conserve water? If yes, please explain how.
- Do you feel that wasting water is a rising problem in the current society? Explain